Friday, August 24, 2012

I See the Light!

   So as I have said on this blog before, the lighting fixture that came with our condo was a big, fat, GOLD, thorn in my side. It is amazing to me that this condo was built in 2001 (not 1980) and still someone picked that light fixture. Not only was it bright, brassy gold, but it has 5 lights (for a very small space) that all shown straight down onto the table. It was very overpowering and you felt like you might get a "sunburn" just having dinner.

   At first I thought (and had even started) I would spray paint a fixture I already had. The problem was I kept putting off the project. I realized I was doing this because I really didn't like the fixture in the first place and just painting it wasn't going to help. I decided I needed to buy something. I didn't have a big budget for this (under $100) so I had to do some looking, but I finally found something I liked on Amazon.



                      Let me remind you what the old fixture looked like. Beautiful, right?


 
And then here is the new fixture. It just is so much more modern and makes the whole room feel less dated. Plus, I just like it. And now we can have the light on while eating dinner without needing sunglasses.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I am currently working on my office, but then my next project will be the kitchen. This is a project that keeps getting put off just because it will be SO BIG. I plan on painting all my cabinets white and then adding oil rubbed bronze hardware to them to match the light fixture. When it's done, I know I will love it, but I have A LOT of cabinets so it will be a lot of painting.
 
 
 
 
Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Linz said...

Ooo!! I love it!! That looks awesome!

Kim and Ender said...

I was wondering about spray painting the old fixture. I don't remember what that one looked like but I love the new one. Way cute! The white cabinets w/the bronze hardware will look awesome. I love the look of it in our condo!

Kristy Lou said...

First a small correction, I got the light from Overstock, not Amazon. I was ordering lots of different things at the time and got them mixed up.

Second, Thanks Linz! :)

Third, Kim, I had sprayed a little of the fixture and the spray worked awesome...I just didn't really want that fixture. I am instead going to use the paint to paint over all the gold door knobs and hinges.I swear it will be years before I fix every little thing I want to in this place. Can't believe you guys did so much to your place in such a short amount of time!